Travel Reimbursement Process:
- You have 90 days after you return to submit your receipts for reimbursement; receipts must be submitted to the department office for reimbursement (email@example.com). It is the employee's responsibility to submit their receipts to the office for reimbursement; employees will not be reminded. After 90 days, the request will not be reimbursed per departmental policy.
- Reimbursements will only be completed after you have returned from a trip.
- If you pre-pay using personal funds for registration, lodging, rental car, airfare, etc., you will not be reimbursed prior to the trip.
- If you would like items pre-paid using university tools, seek advice/help from the departmental office.
- All receipts must be submitted together at the end of the trip.
- We cannot accept bank statements alone for reimbursement. While some items require additional documentation, like a bank statement for proof of payment, an itemized/detailed receipt is still required.
- Final itemized receipts must be provided.
- This includes--but is not limited to--hotel receipts, mileage logs (if driving personal vehicle), at least one boarding pass, gas receipts, uber receipts, and meal receipts
- If you will be getting per diem but the event provides any meals, the meals listed on the agenda will not be reimbursed.
- If vacation in conjunction with business travel was pre-approved, no receipts will be reimbursed for that period of time.
- An agenda of the event must be provided (If a link to the event program is available, that should be provided along with the receipts)
- If you fail to receive prior eTravel approval for business related travel, you will not be reimbursed.
Additional Information to keep in mind:
- If you are driving your personal vehicle, you can either request gas or mileage reimbursement. You cannot request both.
- The department/your PI is not responsible for paying for oil changes/car service fees.
- Graduate Students must obtain pre-approval from their PI to request mileage reimbursement and/or per diem.
- This pre-approval must be confirmed by the PI.
- Also, please keep in mind that if you are driving you may be required to provide a flight comparison and explanation as to why you're driving (this is dependent upon the distance).
- Please note that it is not always cost effective to drive and the request will be reviewed.
- If you are driving a rental car and you fail to use the contracted vendor or fail to obtain the appropriate required insurances, the rental charge will not be reimbursed.
- Flight upgrades (including but not limited to: early bird check-in, business select, economy plus, first class, same-day seat upgrade, etc.) are not allowable on University/OSP funds and will not be pre-paid or reimbursed.
- Do keep in mind that the University Travel Policy can/will be updated without warning and the Service Center may deny payment if a reimbursement is not in compliance or does not have enough detail.
- Vacation costs must be paid with personal funds if additional costs are incurred if/when taken in conjunction with business travel.
- Vacation requests taken in conjunction with business travel require prior PI and Departmental approval.
- These requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- The Department may deny these requests. If the Department approves of a request, there is still a possibility that the College could deny the request.
If you have any questions about the university policies, please contact Staci (schweinfurth.22)