Travel Reimbursement Process:
Disclaimer: We will not process reimbursements for any expenses related to non-employees that may be traveling with you. We will only reimburse for business related expenses for the OSU Department of Microbiology Employee.
- You have 90 days after you return to submit your receipts for reimbursement; receipts must be submitted to the department office for reimbursement (firstname.lastname@example.org) via email. It is the employee's responsibility to submit their receipts to the office for reimbursement; employees will not be reminded. After 90 days, the request will not be reimbursed per departmental policy.
- Reimbursements will only be completed after you have returned from a trip.
- If you pre-pay using personal funds for registration, lodging, rental car, airfare, etc., you will not be reimbursed prior to the trip.
- If you would like items pre-paid using university tools, seek advice/help from the departmental office with reasonable advance notice.
- All receipts must be submitted together at the end of the trip.
- We cannot accept bank statements alone for reimbursement. While some items require additional documentation, like a bank statement for proof of payment, an itemized/detailed receipt is still required.
- We will let you know when a bank statement is required after reviewing receipts.
- Final itemized receipts must be provided.
- This includes--but is not limited to--hotel receipts, mileage logs (if driving personal vehicle), at least one boarding pass, gas receipts (if driving a rental), uber receipts, and meal receipts
- If you will be getting per diem but the event provides any meals, the meals listed on the agenda will not be reimbursed.
- If pre-approved vacation is taken in conjunction with business travel, no receipts will be reimbursed for that period of time.
- Vacation in conjunction with business travel must be pre-approved.
- Keep in mind that vacation in conjunction with business travel does not have to be approved by the PI or department.
- An agenda of the event must be provided (If a link to the event program is available, that should be provided along with the receipts)
- If you fail to receive prior eTravel approval for business related travel, you will not be reimbursed.
Additional Information to keep in mind:
- If you are driving your personal vehicle, you can only request a mileage reimbursement. You cannot request gas reimbursement unless you are driving a rental vehicle.
- The department/your PI is not responsible for paying for oil changes/car service fees.
- Graduate Students must obtain pre-approval from their PI to request mileage reimbursement (when they are planning to drive) and/or per diem.
- This pre-approval must also be confirmed by the PI prior to departmental approval.
- Also, please keep in mind that if you are driving you may be required to provide a flight comparison and explanation as to why you're driving (this is dependent upon the distance).
- Please note that it is not always cost effective to drive and the request will be reviewed. This request may be denied.
- If you are driving a rental car and you fail to use the contracted vendor or fail to obtain the appropriate required insurances, the rental charge will not be reimbursed.
- Flight upgrades (including but not limited to: early bird check-in, business select, economy plus, first class, same-day seat upgrade, etc.) are not allowable on University/OSP funds and will not be pre-paid or reimbursed.
- Do keep in mind that the University Travel Policy can/will be updated without warning and the Service Center may deny payment if a reimbursement is not in compliance or does not have enough detail.
- Vacation costs must be paid with personal funds if additional costs are incurred if/when taken in conjunction with business travel.
- Vacation requests taken in conjunction with business travel require prior PI and Departmental approval.
- These requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- The Department may deny these requests. If the Department approves of a request, there is still a possibility that the College could deny the request.
If you have any questions about the university policies, please contact Staci (schweinfurth.22)
<Back to Planning your trip
<Back to eTravel overview