Ohio State nav bar

Registering for Classes FAQs

Q: Where can I find information about which semester various microbiology courses are taught? What are the prerequisites for those courses?

A: You can find information concerning ANY course taught at OSU at the site of the Office of the University Registrar: http://registrar.osu.edu/courses/index.asp. You can refer to the Microbiology Major Program (available on our general Undergraduate page) about when Microbiology courses are typically offered and course prerequisites.

Q: I’m trying to register for a microbiology course but all the seats are full. What can I do?

A: You should put yourself on the waitlist for the course. You may also contact the instructor of the course to see if you can get permission to enter the class over-the-limit. If you are still on the waitlist when the class begins, go to the first class and speak with the instructor. The instructor may not be able to help you, but you certainly don’t want to miss the first class or lab if there is a chance you may get into the class.

Q: I’m trying to register for a microbiology class but all the seats are reserved for microbiology majors. I am not a microbiology major. What can I do?

A: Because some microbiology courses are required courses for micro majors, seats in those classes may be reserved for majors. Put yourself on the waitlist since seats usually become available near the start of the class once we are sure that all major who need the course have registered.

Q: I would like to take a microbiology course next semester but I will not have the prerequisite course completed by then. How can I get permission to take that course?

A: You will need to contact the instructor of the course. The instructor may give you permission if you have successfully completed other courses that are related to the course. (Instructors want to be sure that you have a good chance of success in the course.) If the instructor gives you permission to register, YOU are responsible for reviewing material on your own that was covered in the prerequisite course that is necessary for you to understand.

Q: I’m on the waitlist for a microbiology course. Can you put me into that class?

A: We cannot put you into a course over-the-limit unless you have written permission from the instructor of the course.

Q: I attempted to enroll in a 5000-level course and got an error message that the class falls outside my "career of study". What do I do?

A: 5000-level courses in the Microbiology department are designed to be taken by both undergraduate & graduate students. The error message you received is from attempting to enroll in the Graduate section of the course. Make sure that you are only searching for Undergraduate sections of courses in systems such as Schedule Planner and Buckeye Link, and re-attempt to enroll in this course (which will have a different 4-to-5-digit class number).