Attending conferences is essential for the career development of graduate students. The Department of Microbiology Graduate Travel Awards are designed to provide graduate students with support to partially cover the cost of attending and presenting their work at key conferences in their field of research. Up to four $500 awards will be made per calendar year.
Eligibility: the student must
- Have successfully passed their candidacy exam.
- Be a presenting author at the conference.
- Be attending a national or international conference.
- Student has not previously received travel award from the department.
Deadlines: there will be two deadlines for application:
- December 1 for travel between January and June and
- June 1 for travel between July and December.
Application: Each student will submit their application, composed of the items listed below, to the Graduate Studies Committee:
- A submitted abstract with the title and the authors listed in the order they appear in the abstract. The presenting author should be indicated.
- Student's statement of the importance and value of the meeting to their professional development.
- Student's curriculum vitae.
- Student’s advising report.
- Budget: transportation, meals, lodging, registration fees etc. Indicate what other funds will be used to support your travel.
A letter from the advisor is not required.
Selection: The Graduate Studies Committee will review applications and select awardees based on the strength of the student's statement and the CV, as well as the stature of the conference. The committee may consult the student’s advisor and members of the advisory committee.
Please contact Staci at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.