Ohio State nav bar

Grade FAQs

Q: What happens if I receive a grade below C- in one of my major courses?

A: If this class is a major core requirement, you will need to repeat this class in a future semester. If this class is a major elective, you can either repeat this class in a future semester or choose other major electives to take instead. You can choose to utilize Grade Forgiveness while re-taking a major course. 

In some cases, earning a D or D+ in a major course may allow you to use this course as a prerequisite for a future course. However, it is recommended to repeat the earlier class so that you have a strong foundation before moving into more advanced material. For example, if you earn a D in Micro 4100, the credit in this course would allow you to take Micro 4110 in a future semester, but retaking Micro 4100 first is strongly recommended.

Q: I’m not doing well in my microbiology class. What should I do?

A: If you are not doing well in a class, you should speak with the instructor as soon as possible. Most instructors want to help students understand the material and do well. (Do not wait until near the end of the class to ask for help.) Some tips:

  • When you ask for help, have some specific questions you would like the instructor to answer rather than a general question. For example: instead of "Would you please explain bacterial metabolism to me?" ask about some specific  points of bacterial metabolism you do not understand.
  • Do not expect the instructor to re-present an entire lecture or class presentation for you. Again, asking about specific points you did not understand is a better use of your time and the instructor's.
  • If you have questions concerning a study guide, first attempt to answer all the questions in the guide on your own. Ask the instructor about points you are confused on.
  • Ask the instructor for any tips that have helped other students as they studied for the course.

If you continue having trouble with courses in general, you may want to see if you can get some study tips. The Walter E. Dennis Learning Center (part of the Younkin Success Center) is one place to start looking for help:  http://dennislearningcenter.osu.edu/

Q: What about grades earned during COVID-19? (What if my grade isn't an A-E letter grade or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory?)

A: As part of Ohio State's response to COVID-19, a Pass or "PA" earned in Spring 2020 or Autumn 2020 is allowed to fulfill Microbiology major & minor requirements. If this is not displaying properly in your Degree Audit, contact your advisor. For all other semesters, you cannot switch a class to the Pass/Non-Pass grading basis and count it towards the Microbiology major or minor. An Emergency Pass or "PE" earned in Spring 2021 or Summer 2021 will not count towards Microbiology major & minor requirements. 

Q: I took a microbiology course last semester and I believe that my grade is incorrect. What should I do?

A: First you should contact the instructor of the course. If there has been an error in your grade, the instructor will file a Grade Change form with the Registrar’s Office. If you do not believe that your grade problem was resolved correctly, you may contact the Chair of the Microbiology Department at 614-292-2301.