Credit: 3 Units
Instructor: Sullivan, Kumar, Dabdoub, Bolduc
- Gain exposure to approaches for studying the function, structure and evolutionary history of genes observed in sequence datasets.
- Learn approaches for organizing sequence datasets into organismal units using marker genes (e.g., 16S) and shotgun metagenomics data.
- Learn ecological statistical approaches to discern community structure and ecological drivers from large-scale metagenomic datasets.
- Introduction to other sequence-based datasets including viral metagenomes, as well as metatranscriptomics, metaproteomics, metabolomics, etc.
- Design, implement and interpret an informatics group project to further biological understanding of microbes.