Microbiology Major Requirements
NOTE: The majority of students who major in Microbiology are working toward a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree. The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree for this major is identical to the B.S. except for the math requirement.
Required Prerequisites (and/or supplementary requirements)
- Biology 1113 (1113H), 1114 (1114H)
- Math 1151 or 1156 and one of the following:
- 1152, 1157, (Stats) 1450 or (Stats) 2480
- Chemistry 1210, 1220, 2510, 2520, 2540
- Physics 1200, 1201
Major Program (Core Requirements and other Major Courses)
- The major consists of a minimum 30 semesters hours of approved courses.
- Required core courses make up 21 semester hours
- A minimum grade of "C-" is required in each course counted toward the 30 major hours.
- Any student failing to obtain at least a C- after repeating a course must petition the Microbiology Department Curriculum Committee for permission to take the course a third time.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.00 (“C”) in the 30 majors hours is required for graduation.
All majors must take Microbiology 4100, 4110, 4120, 4130 and 4140, and Biochemistry 4511.
- NOTE: Any student seeking to have a microbiology course taken at another institution count for Microbiology 4100 must take the current Microbiology 4100 final lecture and lab exams and score at least a C-. Cases will be reviewed by the Microbiology Department Curriculum Committee before a decision is made.
- Group I: Any 4000 or higher courses offered by the department excluding 4000.
- Group II: Additional selected biological and related sciences courses.
See Major Handout for a complete list of Group I and II courses
Also please consult an Arts and Sciences academic advisor (Denny Hall, 292-6961) for questions concerning:
- General Education Course (GEC) requirements for a B.S. degree
- Questions concerning scheduling windows and how to schedule classes in general.
- Questions concerning dropping and adding courses.
- Most other general questions concerning anything other than major course requirements.